Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sherlock Holmes A Study In Scarlet (p70-88)

The rest of this book took away some confusion I had and finished the story.
Lucy does end up dying and the flashback ends. What I found out about Lucy is that she is the reason that people were murdered. In the current time of the book, Holmes and Watson find Lucy's lover who's name is Jefferson Hope. They find out that he was the killer and take him to the police station. The detectives also find out that Hope has an aneurysm and was scared that he would die before the trials. Because he knew that death was near, Hope confessed everything and told the whole story about what had happened. He spoke about following Drebber and Stangerson across two continents and eventually finding them in England. When he found them he spoke of letting them choose between two pills. One pill was harmless and the other was poisoned.
After the confessions Holmes and Watson went back to their housing on Baker Street and Holmes tells Watson how he found out so many big facts by using so many small facts. They also find out that Hope had died a day before his trials because of his heart condition. Finally, the book ends with Roman words reading "Populus me sibilat, at mihi plaudo Ipse domi simul ac nummos contemplar in arca".
I feel now that i finished this book that the parts that did not make sense do now. I am also glad that I accomplished something. I FINISHED MY FIRST BOOK IN MY HIGH SCHOOL CAREER!

1 comment:

  1. "I FINISHED MY FIRST BOOK IN MY HIGH SCHOOL CAREER!"

    Awesome!!! Your descriptions of the story make me want to pick this one up, too.

    ReplyDelete